A medical check-up refers to a thorough physical examination which includes a number of medical tests in which the medical examiner looks for any signs or symptoms of anybody abnormalities or diseases.
We visit our doctors from time to time, some people visit their doctor when they feel unwell. A relatively small percentage of people visit their doctors regularly for their routine medical checkups. The saying “Health is wealth” holds a lot of truth in it.
Only a healthy person can nurture and develop a healthy life around him. An annual medical check-up will lead you one step close to a healthier life. By regularly monitoring the condition of your body, you can easily identify if there are any abnormalities and it will help you to avoid bigger problems.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN A MEDICAL CHECKUP?
Medical check-ups help to identify any potential diseases and treat them before it becomes serious. Health checkups can vary from person to person based on their age, sex, lifestyle, and so on.
A usual medical checkup consists of blood tests, urine tests, X-rays, ultrasonography, cardiac test, etc. It is important to ensure that the medical checkup is done by a qualified professional in a well-equipped hospital.
Listed below are some of the tests included in a regular medical checkup :
- General physical examination includes height, weight, blood pressure, checking pulse rate, etc.
- Blood tests and haemogram tests (Complete blood count or full blood count – it refers to the laboratory tests which provide information about a person’s blood cells). It helps to determine infection, anemia, or the onset of other diseases.
- Lipid profile (It is a panel of blood tests that helps to detect any abnormalities in lipids like cholesterol and triglycerides.) helps in detecting cardiovascular risks.
- Liver function tests help to analyze how well the liver works and diagnose liver diseases if any.
- Kidney functioning tests help to assess the functioning of the kidneys.
- Blood sugar tests measure the blood glucose level to identify diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Chest x-ray studies and analyses the chest and the organs in that area.
- ECG helps in learning about the heart rate and the uniformity of the heartbeat.
- Ultrasonography is used to study the structures in the abdomen such as the gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, liver, and kidneys.
- Urine examination is done for a general assessment of health in terms of systematic or metabolic diseases.
WHAT IS NECESSARY DURING A MEDICAL CHECKUP?
Certain information is necessary to doctors, it will help the doctors to understand your medical history better and treat you with ease. The required information is:
1. PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: Your doctor must have complete knowledge about your past medical history and surgeries if any.
2. HISTORY OF ANY HEREDITARY DISEASES: It is important for the doctor to know about your family’s medical history, this will help the doctor to identify hereditary diseases.
3. LIFESTYLE INFORMATION: Lifestyle information includes details regarding your living environment, working style, and your work-life balance. Simple things in your day-to-day lifestyle can massively affect your health.
4. HABITS: You should disclose your habits like drinking, smoking, or drug use to your doctor so that he can help you accordingly.
5. NORMAL BODY INFORMATION: Your daily body functions such as sleeping, vision, hearing, etc.
Regular medical checkups can help us in numerous ways. It is always better to be a step ahead and prevent any disease that may be coming your way. Remember that health is as important as wealth. A healthy body will eventually lead to a healthy life. You will need to know about rajagiri hospital