We're often told that how our teeth look is one of the most important factors in having an attractive appearance. But, unfortunately, it's not always easy to keep them looking their best. With so many stains and spots on your teeth - some of which are caused by things you can't control - many people find they have dull or yellowing teeth.
However, there are several ways you can whiten your teeth at home using just a few common ingredients! Here are five effective methods to get pearly white teeth without spending lots of money on products from the dentist.
- Toothpaste - The first method is straightforward: use toothpaste. We all know that toothpaste contains chemicals that help remove plaque and kill bacteria, but did you know that some toothpastes could help whiten your teeth? Put a pea-sized amount on your toothbrush and brush as usual. You do need to be careful, though - some toothpastes are too abrasive, which can damage the enamel of your teeth rather than remove stains! A good alternative is homemade toothpaste; this doesn't contain many harmful chemicals but can still keep plaque at bay while minimizing stains.
- Baking Soda - One of the most versatile ingredients around, baking soda has several uses for home beauty. For example, mixing baking soda with hydrogen peroxide is an excellent solution for getting rid of stubborn blemishes. Using it with water removes the bad smells from the kitchen or bathroom. It's also effective when used as a teeth whitener! Add water to make a paste and scrub your teeth as you would with toothpaste, or dip your toothbrush into the baking soda and brush as usual.
- Lemon juice is one of the best sources of citric acid; cut a lemon in half, dip your toothbrush into it, and brush thoroughly for a few minutes. Once the tartar and stains have been removed, rinse and cleanse like normal.
- Activated Charcoal - Although this method is the most extreme; activated Charcoal is a beneficial ingredient to remove stubborn stains from your teeth. Its high absorbency levels make it great for cleaning up all kinds of messes; not only can you clean with it, but you can also brush your teeth! Place a few drops into a bowl of water and then use as normal. This might take a little time to master, so don't be discouraged if it takes more than one try before you start seeing results.
- Zoom in-chair teeth whitening– If the above mentioned methods don’t get you the results as expected, you can consider getting zoom whitening treatment done from a cosmetic dentist. This treatment involves the application of a special zoom gel that is applied to the teeth and then activated by zoom LED light. If done well, this treatment can visible lighten the colour of your teeth in a few sessions.
If you want some tips on advanced at-home teeth whitening treatments, you can also consult your dentist. There are many take home whitening options that your dentists can provide to help you achieve a brighter smile.