The most common indicators of dandruff are itchy and flaky scalp. If you are one of the many people who suffer from dandruff, this article is the one for you. Dandruff can cause serious problems to your hair like hair fall, hair thinning, and also premature greying. It can also cause skin problems like acne, bacne, oily skin, etc.
The following products help you in combating dandruff.
Lotions for dandruff are thick and non-dripping formulas that you need to use as a pre-wash before shampoo, you can use them a night before washing your hair. The good thing about Lotions is that they have a non-greasy formula and they are packed with anti-dandruff ingredients in the most concentrated forms.
Oil: Essential and carrier
Oils are pre-wash treatments you need to apply overnight before washing your hair. Both essential and carrier oils have different properties and hence provide separate benefits.
Essential oils like tea tree oil and peppermint oil have antimicrobial properties.
Whereas, carrier oils like coconut, sesame, Brighraj, etc., provide great nourishment to your scalp. These both need to be used together as essential oils cannot be used directly.
Shampoos effectively remove the oil and dirt buildup on your scalp and hair. Shampoos need to be used 1 to 2 times a week to yield healthy hair. Make sure you buy a sulfate-free shampoo.
You need to choose shampoos depending on the type of dandruff you have. That we will be covering in the latter part of this post.
Conditioners are post-wash hair treatments. They are great for providing shine and nourishment to the hair; especially the tips of the hair. Before buying, make sure you check if the conditioner is silicone-free.
A hair rinse is meant to be the last post-wash hair treatment. You need to dilute a rinse in maximum water and pour it over your head. You are not meant to wash away a rinse but to leave it. The best part about a rinse is that it is packed with dandruff fighting ingredients just like lotions for dandruff. It also leaves your hair smelling amazing.
Although these products are effective for treating dandruff, knowing what kind of dandruff you have and how to use these products is also necessary. Understanding the type of dandruff you are dealing with before you start treating it is important to get effective results.
The following explains the types of dandruff and how to proactively take care of it:
Dry Itchy Scalp
A dry scalp develops dandruff because of the absence of oils and nourishment. To take care of such a scalp make sure you follow the things given below :
- Drink enough water and wash your hair only once a week
- Brush your hair every day for good circulation and natural oil secretion
- Stay away from heat styling
- Oil your hair overnight before washing without fail, do not wash without oiling
- Use mild shampoos
- Use leave-in conditioners preferably
Oily Greasy Scalp
An oily scalp develops dandruff as the cells accumulate and develop flakes. An oily or greasy scalp can also attract yeast infections. The best way to take care of an oily scalp is given below:
- Avoid oily food
- Do not touch your hair too often.
- Comb or brush your hair every day to avoid oil buildup.
- You can shampoo your hair more than twice a week, but make sure you have a good pre-wash routine.
- Use oil only once a week and use non-oily lotions for dandruff the other times.
- Use essential oils to combat any infection if you see any.
- Use conditioners only on tips.
- Avoid leave-in conditioners, use rinse instead.
Having hormonal imbalance can trigger any of the two types of dandruff. The thing about hormonal dandruff is that no external solution is going to be very effective. You need to make serious changes in your diet and routine. Follow these easy steps given below to help reduce the effects of hormonal imbalance on your hair:
- Have a regular sleep cycle
- Avoid eating junk food more than once a week
- Avoid sugary food and drinks
- Practice meditation to reduce stress
- Exercise at least 3 to 4 times a week
Also, don’t forget to consult your dermatologist and let them know about your condition.