Oregano oil is a popular natural remedy for many common ailments. But you may be wondering, does oregano oil work?
Continue reading as we take a look at oregano oil, including its active ingredients, how it works within the body and how you can find a quality oregano oil supplement. But first, here’s a look at oregano oil versus the popular oregano herb that you may have used in the kitchen.
Oregano Oil vs Oregano Spice
Oregano oil and oregano spice are two different products. While they both come from the same plant, they are produced in very different ways and provide different benefits throughout the body. Cooking with fresh or dried oregano adds a distinctive taste (and antioxidants) to your meal. However, if you are looking to reap the immune-boosting and natural antibiotic benefits of oregano, you will need to seek out a quality oregano oil supplement.
Active Ingredients in Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is packed with compounds including phenols, terpenes and terpenoids that are responsible for its pungent aroma and health benefits. Here are the main active ingredients:
- Carvacrol is the primary active ingredient in oregano oil and it possesses many beneficial properties. Specifically, carvacrol has antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also an antioxidant which helps to protect your body from damaging free radicals.
- Thymol is another active ingredient found in oregano oil. This compound provides similar benefits as carvacrol but with added benefits such as its ability to kill parasites.
- Rosmarinic acid is another active compound found in oregano oil. It helps inhibit inflammation by acting as an antioxidant.
Oregano Oil Actions
Oregano oil provides many benefits throughout the body, from helping to reduce cold and flu to supporting overall immune and respiratory health. Here’s a look at oregano oil’s benefits:
- Natural antibiotic: Oregano oil has been shown to have antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties. This makes it a great supplement for fighting off infections of all kinds. It can help with cold and flu by reducing the severity of symptoms like coughing and congestion. It can also help with digestion issues like bloating and gas. Interestingly, some travellers also pack oregano oil on trips abroad to help reduce travellers diarrhea due to its antibiotic properties. In one animal study, oregano oil was shown to be effective at protecting mice infected with Staphylococcus aureus.
- Natural treatment for parasites and candida (including yeast infections): Oregano oil may also be used as an adjunct treatment in the treatment of candida and parasites. The compounds in oregano, such as carvacrol, have been shown to have anti-fungal properties that can help fight off these infections. In test tube studies, oregano oil has shown to be effective at reducing candida infections. Research has found that oregano oil is able to kill yeast cells even at concentrations as low as 0.5%.
- Respiratory health: Furthermore, oregano oil can be beneficial for respiratory health. It fights inflammation within the body by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. When inhaled, oregano oil has been shown to help open airways.
Buying and Using Oregano Oil Supplements
There are a few different ways to take oregano oil supplements. You can buy them in capsule form or as a liquid, with each option offering different benefits:
- Capsules – Some people prefer to take their supplements in capsule form because it can be more convenient when you are on the go. However, they do not work as quickly as liquid oregano oil. A good quality oregano capsule supplement is Oregamax by North American Herb & Spice (NAHS). It’s a 100% raw and wild formula and NAHS is the original wild oregano formulator.
- Liquid – Oregano oil liquid may be easier for some people since it doesn’t require swallowing any pills or capsules; however, it has a very distinct taste and spiciness that not everyone enjoys. Liquid oregano oil works faster than capsules, as the liquid can be absorbed more quickly under the tongue, compared to the time it takes for capsules to move through the digestive system to be absorbed. North American Herb & Spice formulates a high-quality liquid oregano, Oreganol. Their liquid formula is researched, tested and uses wild handpicked P73 oregano.
Whether you’re taking oregano oil for an infection or as a preventative measure, it’s important to know that this supplement may interact with certain medications, especially those used for diabetes or blood pressure control.
Oregano oil has many uses that can benefit you in your daily life. Whether you’re looking for an alternative to traditional medicine or just want to try it come cold and flu season, oregano oil may be the perfect addition to your medicine cabinet.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult your practitioner prior to taking herbs or nutritional supplements.