Are you a male suffering from self-esteem issues because of big breasts? Gynaecomastia can be treated easily, and you no longer have to suffer because of your image. This article focuses on the causes of Gynaecomastia and what you can do to treat it, and even better, is it possible to prevent Gynecomastia?
Dr. Deepesh Goyal is a practicing plastic surgeon who has carried out numerous surgeries, including Gynaecomastia surgery in Jaipur. He is well-known for giving excellent outcomes in surgeries, with client safety being his top prerogative. Dr. Goyal is the founder of Rejuvena Cosmetic care in Jaipur.
In this article, he clarifies the above queries where he starts with the fundamental question-
What is Gynaecomastia?
If you are reading this article, you probably already know what it is Gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the breast in men. An abnormal non-cancerous enlargement of both breasts in males due to a hormonal imbalance is called Gynecomastia. It is a relatively common benign disorder with an occurrence in 35% of men. It is usually present in 70% of adolescent boys, which resolves in 75% of the cases without treatment on puberty onset.
Causes of Gynecomastia:
1) Hormonal disorders: Gynecomastia can be caused due to an imbalance between the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone or in diseases that can alter the testosterone/estrogen ratio, such as liver disorders, kidney failure, thyroid disease, etc.
2) Medications: Medications such as cimetidine, ketoconazole, certain estrogens used for treating prostate cancer, etc., are known to cause Gynecomastia.
3) Tumors: certain tumors such as Leydig cell tumors, adrenal tumors, pituitary gland tumors, or lung cancer can alter the ratio of male-female hormones, which can cause Gynecomastia.
4) Obesity: Obesity (being significantly overweight) is a common cause of Gynecomastia, as being overweight can cause estrogen levels to rise, causing breast tissue to expand. If you’re overweight, you’re more likely to have excess fat in your breasts, which might cause them to grow. Losing weight or increasing exercise may assist some people, but it may not always improve their health.
Treatment for Gynecomastia
Dr. Deepesh Goyal recommends seeing a general practitioner if you are extremely concerned about breast tissue growth. The general practitioner may recommend gynecomastia surgery in Jaipur to reduce excess tissue or hormonal medications to resolve any imbalance.
If the area is exceedingly uncomfortable or there is an evident lump, always visit a doctor. The lump may need to be removed in some cases. Although Gynecomastia isn’t linked to breast cancer, you should consult a doctor if you’re concerned about breast swelling.
What are the benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery?
- Improved back posture: boys and men tend to stoop to hide their moobs and save themselves embarrassment. Undergoing the procedure will allow them to walk with their backs straight.
- Improved confidence.
- Ability to wear well-fitted clothes.
- Confidence to undertake activities like swimming where you may have to go shirtless.
Are you eligible to undergo gynecomastia surgery?
- If you are physically fit without any other underlying diseases
- If the moobs have reached their maximum growth
- The size of your breasts is a cause of concern
- Non-smoker and non-drug users
Then, you are eligible to undergo surgery.
What is the recovery Period post gynecomastia surgery?
You may be able to resume day-to-day activities after a week, do some light exercises after 2 weeks, and strenuous activities strictly after 6 weeks of surgery.
What are the chances of recurring Moobs?
In most cases, the surgery is a long-lasting solution unless you gain weight, require to take steroids for some reason, or your hormonal imbalance is not sorted out.
Is Gynecomastia preventable?
No, Gynecomastia is not preventable as it occurs due to other factors like hormonal imbalances. You can, however, try and lead an active and healthy lifestyle to prevent what you can from your end.