Common household cleaning products are well known for their toxic chemical components. These can be harmful when consumed, and many can lead to intoxication. Pets, such as cats and dogs, are more susceptible to these chemicals, potentially leading to respiratory problems and even death.
So what cleaning products do you have in your home that could harm your furry friend? Let’s take a look at some of the most common;
The main chemical and active compound of bleach is sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), known to kill all organisms, which is why it is used as a disinfectant. Inhalation can cause coughing and a sore throat, especially in some breeds that develop breathing problems. However, Sodium hypochlorite is unstable and decomposes when exposed to air, diminishing its toxicity. Swallowing can lead to diarrhea and vomiting, burning sensation and stomach ache. When bleach comes into contact with the skin or eyes, it can lead to severe irritation and pain, although these effects may not be evident instantly.
Good advice when using bleach is to keep the room pet free and well ventilated for at least 20 minutes after use.
Ammonia (NH3) is used in a large range of common cleaning products that are found in most homes.,These include, but not limited to: glass, floor and carpet cleaners, kitchen – and oven – cleaners, multi-surface cleaners including bathroom sprays and furniture polish.
This substance can lead to severe damage to your pet.. It can emit gas or vapour at hot temperatures and is toxic by inhalation. The strong smell of ammonia can cause distress and cause a burning sensation in your pet’s eyes and skin. In extreme cases, high levels of exposure can lead to neurological damage.
We all love summer days around the pool but you must be careful with the chemicals that you use to keep it clean. Most common cleaning agents contain chlorine, bromine, pH adjusters, and alkalinity adjusters, all of which are very dangerous if swallowed. Some common side effects in pets include irritation, red skin, fever, loss of appetite, heavy drooling and stomach pain.
Laundry detergent usually comes in capsule form, which pets may find extremely appealing. They contain Tetraethylene and Pentamethylene that can cause serious eye irritation and skin irritation. They may also produce allergic skin reactions. It’s also toxic to aquatic life, with long-lasting and serious effects. If swallowed, you should contact your vet right away.
Many of these are made using byproducts of the petrochemical industry. Benzyl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, A-Terpineol, and other common chemicals are known to cause respiratory tract irritation, vomiting and dizziness. Inhaling fabric softener can cause respiratory infection, pneumonia or edemas. Drinking it may cause muscle spasms and convulsions.
Owners must be extra careful when cleaning around their pets and make sure to keep every bottle and container properly closed and stored safely out of reach. For urine and excrement stains, smells or disinfection you can use PetLab products as a 100% free from harsh chemicals alternative. It’s safe around pets, humans, clothes, carpets and it’s environment friendly too. PetLab is formulated using only natural non-toxic ingredients and, of course, it’s free from animal testing.